Take away e-mail, expensive snail mail, Facebook and Twitter. Take away newspapers. So, how can someone in metro Atlanta send Christmas greetings to cherished friends and former neighbors living in the foothills of the Slieve Aughty Mountains in rural East Galway, Ireland?

No problem! In my case, I have two routes for it. I posted a message on the Facebook page of Galway BayFM radio station; I believe they will broadcast it at the right time, and the neighbors will hear. If this is still the case, customarily people tune in for the 10 a.m. broadcast to learn the latest news -- who died, who was born, engaged or married, has an anniversary or birthday, and who sends greetings from the four corners of the world.

My more personal method, though, has worked before and will work again. It's a modern form of the Pony Express. You see, my cousin Mike O'Shaughnessy lives in Salthill, a suburb of Galway City, and he knows my former neighbor John Fahy from Mike's former days as a Garde (police officer) in Galway City. John is a traffic warden, so it's natural that their paths would often cross in the course of mutual duty.

I e-mailed Mike and asked him, if he were to run into John, would he kindly send my fond memories and Christmas greetings to those I carry in my heart, and he said he would. Every work day John drives the 50 miles each way from Lissaphuca to Galway City, so it's pretty certain they'll meet.

The other time we used the Pony Express was in 2003 when I was planning a visit back 'home' with my former husband. I asked Mike, through John, to let them all know, and he did; I know, because on the day we arrived back, renting a little cottage in Kylebrack where, years before, I had rented a cottage from Padden Downey - and that's another story altogether - we dropped our luggage in the bedroom and took off walking down the road to Skelly's Market to stock up on groceries. (We hadn't rented a car because of our lack of confidence driving on the left, on winding country roads, and because I knew it wouldn't be a problem with all the wonderful neighbors. And that's another story, too.)

Margaret Skelly wasn't the least bit surprised to see me; she said everyone knew I was coming home. Forty-five minutes later, because of the then-driving rain, Margaret asked her son to drop us back at the cottage. And he did. The Pony Express had been successful.

And that's how we communicate, to this very day. The Pony Express thrives!

(From my upcoming book, A Year in Lissaphuca© - working title)

Comments

03/25/2015 8:05am

I've a lot appreciated your weblog Preserve submitting these inspiring posts from which we can understand one thing and also enjoy the publish.

08/26/2015 3:55am

As each and everything, unfortunately, we have discovered the demerits and drawbacks of this very useful subjective part of education. The main purpose of discovering these demerits is to save time.

09/20/2015 2:45pm

This is an era of technology and we are passing from the time of development. In this period Pony express is running in different countries like Ireland which is very useful service. It delivers the mails and newspaper and small packages very fast, their quickness is the reason of their popularity.

11/19/2015 9:31pm

most likely there exists almost any send of which inspects health-related?? with thanks just before, Ohya, wonderful internet site

11/19/2015 9:57pm

usually are not obtaining excessively keen as a result of web sites which may be known, if this information is just not about to proceed turning out to be informed later on visitors may be minimized

07/04/2016 9:06am

I would like to read more blog posts on this blog site and also share it. to my friends.

02/20/2017 5:30pm

Worth coming back for more info like this.

03/09/2017 6:29am

I have a portable version of Firefox on an external drive and I'd like to export my current Firefox settings form my laptop Firefox to it.. . Is this possible?.

06/05/2017 5:31am

It's true that as long as there's a will, there's a way! I appreciate your sweet gestures wanting to have a communication with the people who are close to you. I mean, not all people are as sweet as you to remember that Christmas greeting is a must though you are separated from them by miles. Internet is such a good help to all of us, right? I bet the Pony Express is working really well.

07/06/2017 12:17pm

Who cherishes her Porsche !! Awesome meeting!! included with the Porsche scene.

09/05/2017 7:26am

For those of you who like to visit enjoy the beautiful island, welcome to Tidung Island.

09/08/2017 9:00pm

Very attractive, interesting article. Congratulations and success, informative I love it.

09/13/2017 4:32am

Many readers respond positively. They get clear information.

09/20/2017 10:31pm

Kampung Inggris has more than 150 English courses. See more at link above, and Joint us now