To all those who believe it possible to have win-win outcomes in life. May your actions reflect this belief as you step up to lead this generation." -- Habib Chamoun-Nicolas

As we move toward yet another election season, it's important to consider how we will conduct ourselves and our campaigns (personal and national) so that we can plant seeds of cohesion for the generations to follow.

Although I write frequently about the legacy we leave to the next generation and those to follow, I haven't said why this is such a passion of mine, so I'll tell you now and you may see threads in my story that you could weave into your own.

More than 80 years ago, when my parents fell in love, they happened to be of different religions; my siblings and I are still feeling the repercussions of that! Because of that difference, elders on both sides decided that this religious divide was insurmountable and they rejected our 'mixed' family which grew eventually to seven siblings, and innumerable nieces, nephews, grandchildren and 'greats'. (Both sides of my family are historically prolific.)

My parents married and managed to stay together, for the most part, happily for 60 years until my Dad died; we grew up without knowing our innumerable cousins; we missed out on all the fun, milestones and memories they enjoyed, and continue to enjoy together.

Now, one cousin and I, brought together after his brother's death, are struggling to develop closeness despite polar opposite political beliefs. This cousin is a wonderful, warm, loving individual with the same strong moral values as mine; both of us are intensely patriotic. The challenge lies, not so much in our opposing political views as in our approach to finding common ground so as to move our country forward.

Our country today is in much the same position as my family's various divisions, and it's high time we learned to change that picture. My cousin is learning that it's OK to stay loyal to core values while reaching out to find workable connections with the other side. This is a difficult skill to master; it requires patient perseverance and understanding for us to get on the same wavelength; we're getting there, and I firmly believe that children and grandchildren from his and my families will be the better for our efforts.

Politically, Facebook is still full of accusatory, 'I hate Republicans / Democrats / Obama / MitchMcConnell', etc. posts, often with little relation to truth; a significant number are distorted, others true but hatefully presented. This is particularly disturbing because we will soon head into congressional campaigns which bring the promise of more intense versions of the same paralyzing messages -- unless we decide to brake for progress, and take a more enlightened approach.

How can we do that? Well, we can start by sticking to the truth -- no leaving out parts, no distortion, untruths, one-sided accusations, name-calling, negative adjectives, 'I hate ____'-type webpages, and the like. Those negative tactics lead us nowhere except to more divisiveness. Perhaps the most important skill we must develop, though, is learning tolisten with the objective of fully understanding the opposing viewpoint while looking for mutually agreeable points.

Abusive, inaccurate portrayals don't reaffirm us as morally strong, patriotic Americans, nor do they win anything of value for us. We simply can no longer afford to take the position of 'my side must win over your side' because that approach only leads to more hatred and divisiveness -- it's totally a lose-lose approach -- and that makes people who take that approach, losers. Instead, we must say, 'When America wins, we all win.'

Any approach that will move America forward cohesively will have to be cooperative, based on taking the best of each others' core values and applying them to the issues we're working to resolve in a form that is acceptable to us all. In other words, we're all in this together, and we have to work through it all together.

Skills leading to such a positive approach are skills we should know already and be passing on to our children and grandchildren. They are conflict resolution and negotiation skills. If we don't know them yet, now's the time to learn. With a mastery of both those sets of skills, the sky's the limit for us and for those who follow us!

Of the many books on these and other basic communication skills, the ones I find most useful are: Becoming a Conflict Competent Leader (Craig Runde and Tim Flanagan, 2nd Ed. 2013, Jossey Bass), Negotiate Like a Phoenician (Habib Chamoun-Nicolas, 2008, Key Negotiations), The Five Percent (Peter Coleman, 2011, Perseus Books Group/Public Affairs) and The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (Stephen Covey, 1989, Simon and Schuster).

I'm ready to prepare a winner's legacy, a more First-Rate America, for coming generations in my family; will you join me for your family? If not us, then who? If not now, then when? Let's do this together! Let's begin now!

Follow Molly Alexander Darden on Twitter: www.twitter.com/MollyDarden

Comments

09/24/2013 12:01am

Wonderful, Molly, and I agree this should be all our effort. I was a voices of the year honoree in the op ed category for my post entitled, "The Enlightened Middle Majority and Why the Sides are Alienating Us." I think we haven't seen anything yet, with likely a highly visible and viable female candidate on the horizon. It will be interesting, to say the least. Look forward to connecting with you.

I believe responses are very good on weblogs, weblogs are prepared to generally be enlightening and it is actually very good for getting comments again that individuals are looking at your site and hopefully getting something from it.

08/17/2015 1:38am

Definitely awesome web-site web-site despatched critiques and very cooperative minutia together with outcomes

Exceptional submit share with us which blog site is impresses a lot more people to looking through that blog

08/17/2015 4:00am

Totally wonderful blog i like it Deferentially this weblog have this top quality big value, exclusive effects, thank for sharing nice put up.

08/17/2015 5:20am

Wha! This is often great full web site i similar to this style website. Deferentially this web site have this high-quality big charge, computer graphics, thank for sharing this site.

Students should join online courses regarding communication, personality development and motivational skills. They should develop time management skills to perform well in academic life.

12/22/2015 12:00pm

It's not a big deal, actually.

12/25/2015 1:48pm

Mobile phone prices in pakistan are now been sold at cheap prices

03/17/2016 2:48am

Thanks for the facts and facts. You provided meals for believed.

Thank you for sharing such a useful information here in the blog.

05/18/2016 1:11am

That post is quite informative.

06/01/2016 9:15am

It's fantastic you have update it.thank you.I found this is an insightful and fascinating post.

I'll make certain to follow-up on your site down the road. I read your site.

It’s an remarkable article in support of all the web visitors; they will take advantage from it I am sure.

01/17/2017 4:06am

This blog provides useful information about the business networking and legacy.Helps in gaining more knowledge on networking.

Well, this is really a very useful tips! I appreciate this knowledge.

02/04/2017 5:09am

Thanks for sharing your experience. I appreciate it.

This has to be one of my favorite posts! And on top of thats its also very helpful topic for newbies.Thanks for sharing your experience. I appreciate it. Thanks

03/02/2017 12:36pm

03/21/2017 9:39am

You can find dissertation online sites from the web make your home pickup unsurprisingly referred to in your ınternet sites.

04/27/2017 10:30pm

We need more info about this issue, hope you give some additional updates. Thanks!

04/29/2017 9:56am

05/11/2017 7:38pm

This is the explanation that we really need to know at this time. Thank you.

06/21/2017 9:46am

Nothing I can say but this article is really useful for me. Thank you.

07/30/2017 4:18pm

Spot on with this write-up, I seriously feel this amazing site needs far more attention. I?ll probably be returning to see more, thanks for the information!

09/03/2017 8:41pm

Here you can enjoy the beauty of nature, with a beautiful panorama of the blue sea.

09/07/2017 2:30pm

Travel Pari Island. Tourists can round the island by biking or on foot to enjoy the atmosphere around the stingray of the island is still natural.

09/12/2017 5:00am

Your information is very smart. We need to follow the changes that has occured.

09/15/2017 7:52am

Reading while studying. I am happy to follow your post.

09/20/2017 7:59pm

An effective learning program, Kampung Inggris Institute is the right address.

09/23/2017 11:27am

We apply this shampoo to the sofa because of the durability of this shampoo to keep the fabric color to not fade, and the brighter.

09/25/2017 7:19pm

09/27/2017 11:23am

In terms of price, birds twitter has a range of prices that vary greatly depending on the type, twitter skills, once a champion and also depends on how much interest the buyer to get the bird he wants. Sometimes there are birds chirp whose quality is normal karen not really adept twitter can get expensive price because the buyer so enthusiastic to get it.

10/17/2017 8:55pm

As information, the Thousand Islands has a long name of the Thousand Islands Marine National Park. This area includes tourism and conservation areas. This Island itself is most often used by some travel agencies to offer tour packages.

10/23/2017 6:31pm

We provide several types of cars with manual or automatic transmissions that are manicured, clean, comfortable, and competitive rates. Vehicle with All Risk insurance. Contact us now to car rental Bali.

10/28/2017 10:16am

One of the best architectural firms offering a level of professional service and expertise that other building professionals lack. With a good design, detailed design of Home Design Services for all types.

10/31/2017 9:43am

All of our home designs definitely fit your personal character, life, needs and lifestyle and your budget as well. All of our home plans incorporate design features that are tailored to ensure life-free maintenance, energy efficiency, and lasting value.

11/02/2017 12:38pm

11/02/2017 10:05pm

Right of Trademark is a form of IPR protection which gives exclusive rights to registered trademark owners to use the mark in the trade of goods and or services, in accordance with the class and type of goods or services for which the mark is registered.

11/07/2017 10:02am

We make sure we have a competitive and reasonable price compared to our competitors, for you who have joined the registered member, you can rent with a special price after making several rental reservations.

11/09/2017 10:55am

Traore can reunite with manager Jose Mourinho if properly recruited by MU, the article of this Burkina Faso player had spent four years at Stamford Bridge despite failing to become the main choice at this time.

11/10/2017 12:31pm

It is a functional space within the home and therefore must be deliberately designed to be useful and useful. There are many options, ranging from walk in locker rooms to smaller rooms, and choice of style and storage depending on space.

11/14/2017 9:58am

Design of minimalist house in the kitchen made similar like a seat complete with a table. So, in the kitchen applied a table that is united with the kitchen. Seats are also used in minimalist style chairs.